In the early 1980s, Leisure Books and sister brand Leserskring revolutionised the publishing industry and changed the way South Africans buy books. And while the face of book buying has changed significantly over the past 30 years, this unique Book Club continues to send Club Members a quarterly catalogue today – packed with the best reads on the market.
Media24, the holding company at the time, announced early in 2016 it would shut the doors of this iconic South African Book Club for good. As a legacy business, Leisure Books had turned into a large enterprise bogged down by the big-business process, lacking the agility to change and adapt in a market in which it had once been an innovator, and at risk of becoming irrelevant.
But the acquisition by IMD Logistics of both Leisure Books and Leserskring soon after Media24’s shock announcement has breathed new life into this much-loved business. And with the change in ownership came the opportunity to become young and agile again – giving a 36-year-old legacy business a start-up mentality.
Leisure Books now once again offers Club Members and book lovers alike a curated selection of the best local and international books, movies, music, and more.
Here are just some of the interesting facts about these Book Clubs that have played a vital role in the South African book industry for the past 36 years:
- More than 20 000 Members have been with the Book Clubs for over 20 years
- 10 000 have been Club Members for over 30 years
- 300 members have been part of the Clubs since inception in 1980
- Within three weeks of the initial launch in 1980, 3 000 members had joined
- Since their inception 36 years ago, the Clubs have sold over 40 million books